Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I always feel weird about reading a book on a bus or airplane.
I'm concerned that people might think I'm bragging.
It's as if by reading a book in public, I'm shouting:
"Hey everyone, look at me! I'm not illiterate!"

I also hate when people try to see what I'm reading.
When you look at what someone is reading it's almost like your judging them and sizing them up based on the book they are reading.
I hate that.
Don't size me up.
Isn't it enough that you know I'm not illiterate?
Why do you need more information?

Someone was sitting next to me the other day and I could see them trying to read the title of the book I was reading.
I was outraged.

From now on everytime I read a book in public I'm going to make sure it has a horrible title and let everyone see it.
Then they can make harsh judgements about me.
I think I'll just do anything to make people make harsh judgements.

No comments: